07 December, 2014

New York

After being reunited with friends and family during Thanksgiving, and spending a few days up in Oregon visiting my younger sister at her new school, I began my final adventure of my long summer/winter break in New York City, where one of my good friends is now going to school! It was of course really great to see my friend after not seeing her for so long, and another thing I especially liked about this trip was having someone host me, show me around, and plan out what to do! This was just what I needed after so many months of having to plan everything ourselves while travelling! Though my time in New York was brief, I had heaps of fun and I am definitely hoping to return someday once I have enough money to start travelling again. 

Yet another sunrise flight. While the 3 and 4am wake ups for these flights are brutal, they definitely provide some nice views (and are a good money saver).

For my first meal in NYC, we went to a gourmet mac and cheese restaurant. Though I don't have pictures of every meal I ate during my trip, the friend I was visiting basically makes a hobby out of going out to eat, so trust me when I say that every meal we ate was absolutely delicious.

So fun being in the city in December! So many beautiful decorations all over the entire city.

Walking on the Brooklyn Bridge, with Manhattan in the background.

The gingerbread village that I helped make. 

On the second day of my trip, we got up bright and early to get in line for cronuts. We arrived at 7am, waited in the 36 degree weather for an hour (necessary because they're very popular and only a limited amount of cronuts are made) until the place opened, and then finally got our cronuts! This month's flavor was chocolate raspberry - one of my favorite flavor combinations!


Grand central station!


Time's Square!


Rockefeller Center!

Just outside where they film all the NBC shows. A couple minutes after I took this picture, we walked by Pete Davidson, one of the current SNL castmembers! 

Central Park was much bigger than I expected, and very beautiful, though I'd definitely like to come back some day in the spring or summer when it's a bit more green. 

Strawberry Fields, a memorial for John Lennon.
BRUNCH :) At this adorable cafe I got some great cherry-blackberry oatmeal pancakes.



On the third day it was pouring out, so we (and about half of the city's population it seemed) went to the Met, one of the famous museums in NYC.
Authentic New York pizza - worth the hype.

On my fourth and final day, we walked through the Highline, a long park which goes over a bunch of streets in Manhattan, and also went shopping in Chelsea Markets, where we both had a lot of fun and had to resist buying nearly everything in every store.